The Museum of Yachting is creating a special
exhibit to recognize the Yacht Clubs of Rhode Island for its' 2007
will feature significant artifacts from each Club including trophies,
burgees and historic photographs, which highlight the history of
At press time, Yacht Clubs slated to participate in this exhibit
included Barrington, Bristol, Coasters Harbor, Conanicut, Edgewood,
Goat Island, International Yacht and Athletic Club, New York, Newport,
Quonset Davisville Navy, Sakonnet, Saunderstown, Tiverton, Watch
Hill and Wickford Yacht Clubs.
To learn more about the history and tradition of the great Yacht
Clubs of Rhode Island, be sure to visit the exhibit at The Museum
of Yachting, open daily from May 12 through October 31, 2007 from
More information is available at www.musuemofyachting.org
Quonset Davisville Yacht Club
Harbor Yacht Club in Newport
Did you know?
The first regatta organized by The Newport Yacht
Club was held July 4, 1894.
New York Yacht Club’s first clubhouse,
built in 1845, is located in Newport.
Goat Island Yacht Club started
the Bermuda One-Two in 1979, which is now recognized as a major
qualifying race for other international short-handed yacht races.
Club is host to The Brown University Sailing Team.
Tiverton Yacht Club suffered a tragic loss
to their clubhouse due to fire in June 2003. (They are
The classic division at Saunderstown Yacht
Club's weekly races includes Herreshoff 12½, catboats,
Javelins and Bullseyes.
In 1937 the Sakonnet Sloop daysailer was
created as a club “one-design” for
the Sakonnet Yacht Club.
During the Hurricane of 1938, Barrington Yacht
Club was one of the only buildings in town that withstood a tide
13 feet above mean high tide.
For decades, every Sunday during
the winter months, a frost-biting fleet of up to a dozen hearty
racers can be found sailing in front of the Bristol Yacht Club.
Yacht and Athletic Club members include America’s
Cup Sailors; Jerry Kirby, Mike Toppa, Dennis Conner, Ken
Read, and Brad Butterworth.
Nat Herreshoff redesigned the Buzzard's
Bay 15, for the shoal waters of Little Narragansett Bay and
Watch Hill Harbor.
The new Watch Hill 15 became the club racer
of the Watch Hill Yacht Club in 1923.
The original Wickford Yacht
Club was located on a barge in Wickford Harbor.
© 2007 Newport Harbor
Guide. All rights reserved.