Recreational Saltwater Fishing License Information
Beginning in 2010, in order to fish recreationally for finfish in Rhode Island’s marine waters, saltwater anglers and spearfishers must have:
- A RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License, or
- A National Saltwater Angler Registration, or
- A recreational saltwater fishing license from a reciprocal state (NY, CT, MA and ME)
Exemptions: No license or federal registration is required for:
- Anglers who are under 16 years of age
- Anglers fishing on licensed party or charter boats
- Anglers who hold Highly Migratory Species Angling Permits
- Anglers who are on leave from active military duty
- Anglers who are blind or permanently disabled
RI saltwater fishing licenses can be purchased at many bait and tackle shops and online at https://www.ri.gov/DEM/fishinglicense/.
Contact DEM’s Marine Fisheries Program at (401) 423-1923 (M-F 8:30am – 4:00pm).